The "classic design" of Duolingo is what was running on the website for most users in the later part of 2013. A dramatic redesign was introduced to a number of new users in late 2012 as a test. When the results of the test were positive, the redesign was then rolled out to half of the existing users on Jan. 20, 2014.
- Weekly progress chart was moved to the end of lessons only. The ability to view progress will be added back in when the coaching feature is introduced to the web.
- Discussion on skill pages was removed. Less than 1% of users were accessing the discussion pages from each skill, so they were removed.
- Users no longer can comment on own activity stream.
- Users can no longer view other people's language trees. This will be restored in some way once the new groups feature is implemented.
- Ability to see what individual lessons are weakened was removed.
- Christmas lesson was removed from the store. This is probably a change to make it seasonal. People who had already bought the bonus skill still have access to the lessons.
- Users can give lingots to discussion starters. During December 2013 users were given the ability to share lingot with commenters on discussions.
- Quicker access to gender selection in some practices. Genders can now be selected by number instead of having to use a pull-down menu.
Old skill icons: