This article covers some basic formatting commands for both Duolingo and this wiki.
Formatting syntax Edit
|Type of Formatting (Effect)||Duolingo (Markdown)||Wiki Syntax (Mediawiki)|
|Bold ("strong")||**Bold** or __Bold__||'''Bold'''|
|Italic ("emphasis")||*Italic* or _Italic_||''Italic''|
|Bold italic||***Bold italic***||'''''Bold italic'''''|
|Two spaces at the end of a line||<br />|
|A blank line||<br /><br /> or a blank line|
|Nested blockquotes|| |
> Nested blockquote1 >> Nested Blockquote2
<blockquote>Nested blockquote1 </blockquote>
|Internet link (Click here)||[Click Here](http://www.duolingo.com)||[http://www.duolingo.com Click Here]|
See notes regarding images below.
|![alt text](Imgur URL of uploaded image)||[[File:Flag-en.png|20px|alt text]] <br /> Note: 20 px adjusts the size to 20 points.|
| Bulleted list
||- Bulleted item or * Bulleted item||* Bulleted item|
| Separating line
|* * *, ***, *****, - - -, or --------------- (comma separates options)||----|
|#Heading , ##Heading , ###Heading , ####Heading|| ==Heading==|
|Where to get more info||Markdown syntax on daring fireball||Editing pages on mediawiki|
|` text `||<code>text </code>|
Numbered list 1. 2.
Wikis have different formats for links to other articles within the same wiki versus links using a full URL.
In other words: upload image at any image hosting site. Then, right click image and copy the Image Location url and post it here ![alternative or hover text](Imgur URL of uploaded image).
Note : This works in any image hosting site, not just imgur.com.
Adding an embedded image that doesn't rely on the host
- Go to a site that can convert it to a base64 string (look for "image to base64 converter" using a search engine);
- Select image and upload;
- Copy the image tag "<img alt="" src="data:image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhEAAQANUqALHX/HaZtrfa/Lrc/fL1+V13lcDf/Vpwiejz/rTZ/O72/4GnwmF8m362N4S8O4/EROr0//z9/pa805XJSEhacZLHR2eHp+fz/onAP5DFRZbKSubv9/n6/IC4OIvAQHqzM5fLS77e/ZvN/OLq9KvU+6TR+3KsLVNle+zx9////////wAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACH5BAEAACoALAAAAAAQABAAAAaMQJUqRUwJj8hjymQqOo3CImhSXCwCAQt0qak8MM0IYTMaFYzLjMfRMEEMhlBoRGA4Ox+FAhEaCEIABGcpEksmCnF+CQAkgkQLHAgIFwKLJCQlJSMHRAEofQKMmCUiIiMnnSiKjJmlpqhDniizsyIls7BRDAwFBwcnuBRQSk/AuUlJKSfHyEjKw83Ow0EAOw==" />"
- Make sure to only copy the part which starts with "data:image" and ends with " />"
- Append that base64 string to the markdown syntax, e.g. !(data:image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhEAAQANUqALHX/HaZtrfa/Lrc/fL1+V13lcDf/Vpwiejz/rTZ/O72/4GnwmF8m362N4S8O4/EROr0//z9/pa805XJSEhacZLHR2eHp+fz/onAP5DFRZbKSubv9/n6/IC4OIvAQHqzM5fLS77e/ZvN/OLq9KvU+6TR+3KsLVNle+zx9////////wAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACH5BAEAACoALAAAAAAQABAAAAaMQJUqRUwJj8hjymQqOo3CImhSXCwCAQt0qak8MM0IYTMaFYzLjMfRMEEMhlBoRGA4Ox+FAhEaCEIABGcpEksmCnF+CQAkgkQLHAgIFwKLJCQlJSMHRAEofQKMmCUiIiMnnSiKjJmlpqhDniizsyIls7BRDAwFBwcnuBRQSk/AuUlJKSfHyEjKw83Ow0EAOw)
- This will result in an image () being displayed in the relevant page, which can be added to any site without relying on the host.
Note: make sure permissions is obtained to use an image if it is copyrighted and make sure images aren't too big, because servers(sites) may reject it.