Basics 2 is the fourth (assuming read left to right) skill in the French language tree. It consists of four lessons. While Basics 1 introduced singular subjects and objects, Basics 2 introduces plurals.
Tips and NotesEdit
Plurals in French are exactly like plurals in English; all you have to do is add an -s. This works for adjectives as well, as outlined below.
Adjectives agree in number and gender with the noun they modify.
- le garçon calme, les garçons calmes
- la femme calme, les femmes calmes
Ils or Elles?Edit
Both of these words mean "they" in English, but they are very different:
- Ils is used when one or more of the group of people or objects are masculine. *Elles is used when all of the objects or people in the group are feminine.
- calmes = quiet (plural)
- les = the
- nous sommes = we are
- les hommes = men
- ils/elles sont = are
- j'écris = I write
- il/elle lit = he/she reads
- vous êtes = you are (plural/formal)
- vous avez = you have
- le livre = book
- la lettre = letter
- rouge = red
- le journal = newspaper
- ils/elles écrivent = they write
- nous lisons = we read
- nous avons = we have
- ils/elles lisent = they read
- ils/elles mangent = they eat
- l'enfant = child (m.)
Duolingo Lesson: www.duolingo.com/skill/fr/Basics-2