Basics 2 is the second (assuming read left to right) skill in the French language tree. It consists of five lessons. While Basics 1 introduced singular subjects and objects, Basics 2 introduces plurals.
Tips and NotesEdit
In Basics 1 we learned the forms of the definite article for singular nouns. This lesson introduces the definite article for plural nouns. We can now state the rule: definite articles agree in number and gender with the nouns they modify.
- le garçon, les garçons
- la fille, les filles
- l'homme, les hommes
- la femme, les femmes
Adjectives agree in number and gender with the noun they modify.
- le garçon riche, les garçons riches
- la femme calme, les femmes calmes
Aimer has multiple meanings. When refering to people, it means "to love."
- J'aime ma copine. (I love my girlfriend.)
When refering to objects, it means "to like."
- J'aime les livres. (I like the books.)
Aimer is also a "regular -er verb." All "regular -er verbs" have the same basic conjugation:
|Pronoun||Conjugation Ending||Example for aimer|
|il, elle, on||-e||elle aime|
Écriver is also a "regular -er verb."
Ils or Elles?Edit
Ils is used when one or more of the group of people or objects are masculine. Elles is used when all of the objects or people in the group are feminine.
Lire is also a regular verb, but is a "regular -re verb," more specifically of the "-ire" variety. The conjugation for that kind of verb is:
|Pronoun||Conjugation Ending||Example for lire|
|il, elle, on||-t||il lit|
- riches = rich (plural)
- calmes = calm (plural)
- les = the (plural)
- nous = we
- sommes = are (1st person plural)
- les hommes = men
- sont = are (3rd person plural)
- j' = I (same as je)
- aime = like(s) (1st and 3rd person singular)
- écris = write (1st and 2nd person singular)
- le livre = book
- la lettre = letter
- les robes = dresses
- rouges = red (plural)
- vous = you (plural and/or formal)
- mangez = eat (vous form)
- êtes = are (vous form)
- avez = have (vous form)
- avons = have (1st person plural)
- mangeons = eat (1st person plural)
- lit = reads (3rd person singular)
- lisons = read (1st person plural)
- le journal = newspaper
- le menu = menu
- les livres = books
- elles = they
- ils = they
- écrivent = write (3rd person plural)
- filles = girls
- garçons = boys
- lisent = read (3rd person plural)
- mangent = eat (3rd person plural)
- enfants = children
- femmes = women
Duolingo Lesson: www.duolingo.com/skill/fr/Basics-2