Japanese is a Japonic language spoken mainly in Japan by roughly 125 million total speakers.
As of January 2016, Duolingo staff noted that for Japanese:
"The biggest challenge for us is teaching the writing system. Duolingo currently does not have a good way of teaching new character sets, but we’ll be working on that soon", Luis von Ahn (2016).
Input methodsEditMain article: Guide to keyboard layouts and input methods
- Midori for iPad (paid) (Dictionary,Flashcards,Search and Translate,Lists and Bookmarks,No internet required.
- Tangorin online dictionary
- Nihongo Master Online Japanese Dictionary (Words and Kanji and Example Sentences)
- Tae Kim's Guide to Learning Japanese (website, Android app, e-book)
- Forvo Japanese
- Human Japanese
- Wiktionary has pronunciation for many Japanese words, in addition to romaji and kana for pronunciation of kanji.
- Hiragana and Katakana
- Japanese-lesson.com's YouTube channel (Containing two extensive video courses for Hiragana and Katakana)
- Practice sheets
- https://www.wanikani.com/ (Learn and practice kanji and vocabulary)
Language learning platforms Edit
- Elon.io (For learning and practicing grammar & vocabulary, kanji & kana, and for (video) chat with peers)
- https://busuu.com (To learn and practice grammar and vocabulary, practice writing and have it graded by native speakers, and to live chat with Japanese speakers)
- http://en-us.wespeke.com/index.html (Live chat with native speakers of nearly any language)
- Nihongo Master (Learn Japanese online with lessons, tools and a big community)
- Tofugu Sensei (Has a little bit of everything that is Japanese related. High quality.)
- Sublearning - Movie subtitle flash card quiz in Japanese and many other languages