Portuguese is a Romance language. There are two main varieties of Portuguese: European/Continental and Brazilian. Duolingo teaches Brazilian Portuguese, but European Portuguese speakers will also be able to understand you.
The Portuguese course from English contains 69 skills, and 411 total lessons.
Keyboard layouts and input methodsEdit
Main article: Guide to keyboard layouts and input methods
- United States-International layout
- United Kingdom Extended layout
- Mac OS X default layout
- Brazil layout
- Portugal layout
- Sublearning - Movie subtitle flash card quiz in Portuguese and many other languages
Grammar and syntax Edit
Main article: Portuguese/Grammar tips
External resources Edit
Tools, courses, and grammar referencesEdit
- Language Now - Professor Jason. Free video lessons of Portuguese and Spanish.
- Wikiversity: Brazilian Portuguese
- Conjuga-me - A tool for tables of verb conjugations for regular and irregular Portuguese verbs.
Content in PortugueseEdit
- Cifraclub - Music with lyrics and sheet music in Brazilian Portuguese.
- Brasileiríssima - a Brazilian music playlist on Spotify. Spotify is a music streaming app and website.
- Letras - Music with lyrics in Brazilian Portuguese
- Toca dos Cinéfilos - Site with movies (most classic and cult ones) from USA, UK, France, Italy and many other countries; all movies in the original language with subtitles in Portuguese.
- Vagalume - Music with lyrics in Brazilian Portuguese
- TV Brasil
Why is Portuguese represented on Duolingo using the flag of Brazil rather than the flag of Portugal?Edit
We chose the US and Brazilian flags because we teach those variants of the languages, because they have the overwhelming majority of the speakers, and because they are the variants that most people want to learn (sorry chaps!).